My mom has a long shadow
My mom has a long shadow
Short Fiction (2007)
I have made this film during Abbas Kiarostami’s workshop in 2007. Mr Kiarostami is the winner of 1997 Cannes Palme d’Or . This story is inspired by both the subject of the workshop and almost a true story. After my mother passed away in 2006 the complex manager planted a tree in the yard of our villa, in her memory.
During the workshop we had to make films around two subjects : Taxi and Tree.
One of the days during that workshop, while I was looking at the tree, I asked myself a question : “Are you my mom from now on?”
At the moment I found it a good subject for a film, but I was not able to tell this story as it was, so I made some changes, added a story and put a 9 year old child in my own place.
My mom has a long shadow is about a 9 year old boy who has to write an essay about mother’s day but he writes his essay about a tree instead, and the teacher won’t let him read his essay in the class because he thinks that it is irrelevant to the subject.
My mom has a long shadow was a great experience, getting natural acts from non actors. It was very hard to ask a 9 year old boy who has a mother, to act like someone who has lost his mother and is sad because he is not understood in one of the most important places for him which is school.
Director : Kaveh Ghahremany
Writer : Kaveh Ghahremany
Editor : Amir Darafsheh
Assistant director : Ahmad Izadifar
Cinematographer : Kaveh Ghahremany
Cast : Mohammad Izadpanah
– Cannes – France – Partenaire Officiel (May 2008)
– Zoom Zblizenia-Poland – Official Selection/Competition (February 2009)
– XXIV. Black International Cinema Berlin/Germany & USA – Official Selection/Competition (May 2009)
– Monterrey International Film Festival – Mexico – Official Selection/Competition (August 2009)
– Drama – Greece – Official Selection (September 2009)
– Cabbage town – Canada – Competition (September 2009)
– Third Eye Asian Film Festival – India – Competition (October 2009)
– Laboca Del Lobo – Spain – Competition (October 2009)
– Curta Cinema – Rio de Janeiro International Short Film Festival – Competition (November 2009)
– Smogdance – United States – Competition (January 2010)
– Cinéma Le méliès art et essai recherché – France (May 27th, 2008)
– Pau University of fine arts – France (May 28th, 2009)
– Opolskie Lamy – Poland (April 25th – May 2nd 2009)
– Zoom Zblizenia-Poland – Grand Prix (February 2009)
– XXIV. Black International Cinema Berlin/Germany & USA – Special Filmmaker Award (May 2009)
– Monterrey International Film Festival – Mexico – Best Short Fiction Film Award (August 2009)
– Cabbage town – Canada – Best Screenplay Award (September 2009)
– Smogdance – United States – Best Short Fiction Film Award (January 2010)
Watch the video
You can watch the video by clicking on the play button.